Half of my tempted yarn roving knit up. 155 yards of sockweight yarn. The second skein is set up to be the same and match (as much as possible) the first skein, for some decent socks with all black heels and toes.
I was discussing today with one of my Ravelry groups how I was having a terrible time starting Mystic Light. Every time I knit to the top of the set up pattern, I would end up with a mess of stitches that I couldn’t make heads or tails of. Finally after sitting with it for awhile, I realized that cables with no anchor stitches on the side twist. So I am going to attempt to explain what happened. I used, for this, larger yarn, and the pictures came out a bit blurry but I think you will get the idea.
At the top of the cable line this is what I would end up with:
Once I realized that I had to physically hold the cables in place, the pattern made more sense.
Then picking up the stitches on the sides made a great deal more sense to me. And it also anchored the cables.
And a quick picture of where I am on the project.
You can see how the initial cable pattern makes the cable line along the bottom which is continued as I work the pattern. It is very pretty!
After working the Kauni farther and still not liking the results, even when cutting and changing the color sequence, I frogged back to the ribbing on the Kauni. It is early enough in the project that it doesn’t feel too painful, and if I keep going, I will just be annoyed and wonder exactly why I didn’t frog it when I had the chance. I will restart the pattern yarn in a different spot. I am happy with this decision!
I have waited a long time now to get my Kauni yarn. I have lusted over a Kauni project of my very own for quite some time. I have put lots of thoughts and energy into deciding on a pattern. If I throw that away because I don’t want to frog a couple rows, it is all for naught.