I keep thinking about my Ashford Kiwi. How I don’t like how it spins at this point, how I want to refinish it, and how I want to make it spin better. Well, I just don’t think time will allow me to take it all apart and finish/paint it at this point. Not yet. But the more I thought about it, the more I thought that perhaps just replacing the drive band would get it to a point where I was ready to spin it. So, I did just that.
I’d heard that replacing the drive band with plain kitchen cotton often works quite well for a kiwi. I figured it was worth a try, as I wasn’t pleased with the current drive band. I had Bug give me a hand with the knot, as it was the only way to get it tight enough, but after that, she spun so much better!
So, I decided to actually use her. I pulled out a braid of merino, and decided to spin some fat singles. Sure enough, I can produce lovely fat singles on the kiwi and I don’t have to empty the Rose of its large jacob fleece project. Kinda nice having two working wheels!