Awhile back I decided that I wanted to weave a piece that would showcase my corespun yarn. My idea was to use a thin yarn as a warp and the corespun as weft. I wanted to capture the corespun gently between the warp, putting the warp on display.
I used habu textiles cotton for the warp. This turned out to be a bad idea. Lesson 1, not all cottons are created equal. Just because it is cotton doesn’t mean it is warp appropriate. Lesson 2 was how to fix a broken warp thread. Not a bad lesson in the learning to weave department, but not one I am eager to learn again so repeatedly.
This spent a lot of time on my loom because…I dunno…I got busy? And uninspired, and there was the fast knitting of the holiday season, and then I piled stuff up on my loom table and it was inaccessible without organizing all that stuff. Weaving went by the wayside until Bug started to repeatedly ask to weave on my loom. I decided I’d better get the project finished and off the loom so she couldn’t keep bugging me about it. That warp was way too tender for her to be weaving on it!
I originally decided that I was going to make this into a wall hanging. After rearranging my living space for the umpteenth time, and removing my TV, I have open wall space that needs to be filled. The thing is, it is a bit too thin to fill that space properly. As such, my plan now is to do a series of 3 wall hangings out of handspun art yarn. I am still unsure of how to attach them to the wall, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. And due to the fact I’ve got 2 scarves to weave before I get back to the wall hangings, I will have plenty of time to think it through and get creative.
In any case, I’ve got a few pictures of the piece I am writing about to show off. It is still in an unfinished state, but it is washed and blocked.