TdF Day 6

Last evening I had a rare evening where I was actually AT HOME. Not only at home, but Mr. Ink had a lot to do out of the house, so I was home and alone. I admit, I was pretty excited about the opportunity to get some things done around the house, and the opportunity to get a little spinning time in.

The kitchen was a royal mess as we’d been entertaining, but not actually home long enough to clean it all up. It took two loads of dishes in the dishwasher in one evening, plus handwashing all the pots and pans to finish up. But, I felt quite accomplished once I was done.

It’s funny, as you look to purchase a home, you think you have a pretty good idea of what is wrong with the home, and what is in good shape. But, once you move in, the cracks start to show. You begin to figure out what was cleverly covered up, as you unexpectedly uncover it. Thankfully, that which I’ve uncovered, so far, hasn’t been a big deal. But, those projects still must be dealt with, as leaving them alone isn’t going to make them go away.

Our home was built in 1962 and it retains all the mid century modern flair of the original build, except for the kitchen which was redone in the ’80s. (It’s my dream to redo the kitchen at some point, in an updated mid century modern flavor, in hopes that whomever purchases the home in the future loves it’s style as much as I do.)

The bathroom, in particular, has this wonderful original blue tile that I love. And I was impressed with just how good a shape that tile was in.


(You can just see the blue tile here.)

One thing my mom taught us was how to clean. Really well. And, I have been very motivated to keep that tile clean because I love it so much. Unfortunately, as I continued to attack the tile, there were entire sections where the grout just fell out of the wall. So disappointing! And as I looked closer, I could see that the grout had been caulked over in order to appear perfect, and my scrubbing had both removed the caulk cover up and dislodged the already crumbling grout.

After consulting with a coworker on what I should do in this case, he advised that rather than regrouting it, I could remove the crumbling grout and recaulk with a silicone based caulk. So, last evening, I decided to give it a try. There were just two main sections, problematic areas, and I decided that I certainly couldn’t make the problem worse by trying to fix those areas. So, all on my own, (And even without telling Mr. Ink!) I decided to take a leap of faith in my own abilities, and do the work myself.

I am very proud to say that the improvement is immediate! I watched a bunch of youtube videos on caulking, and felt like I really had some good advice. It was far easier than I expected, just as long as I took it slow and didn’t rush any part of the job. My reward is ’60s tile that looks like I WANT it to look! I expect that I may have a little more work to do, but I no longer fear that work and can do it as the problems come up.

By 8:30 I was done with all my chores, and could spend some time spinning while waiting for Mr. Ink to get home. I think I got about 2 hours of spinning in for Tour de Fleece. I decided that even though I’d been spinning the malabrigo nube on a support spindle, those two hours would be better spent on my wheel. So, I began spinning some of that malabrigo nube on the wheel. The results are beautiful and I am now far more inspired about the project!


I have an all evening bike ride planned tonight, so the only time I’ll get an opportunity to spin is during lunch at work. That’s ok, I am now onto my second spindle of my work project, so that too is moving along at a decent rate. I am enjoying both projects immensely, and I am enjoying the excuse to concentrate on my spinning a bit! It’s quite pleasant.