I’ve taken up a new endeavor. And it’s rolags. I picked up a blending board this week, and naturally, needed to sample immediately.
My drum carder is great at blending, and great at working with wools that aren’t particularly fine. But it doesn’t like merino, and it won’t really do a good job lining various colors up next to each other for a nice color progression in a batt. I don’t mind, it’s an off brand and it was inexpensive and I’ve gotten massive amounts of use out of it.
But sometimes a gal wants to try something else! So rather than a carder that is different than the one I own, I decided on a blending board. And the first thing I did was make a little over 3 ounces of pink toned rolags, using the bits and bobs I have for blending in stash and one of the grey romney dyed wools from last week.
I just pulled out a few to photograph because man can these things be delicate! But the first bobbin spun up so very nicely,
and I am already working on the plying! The rolags do a great job making a light and airy single, and I am eager to see how my first yarn turns out. However, I think the romney is better saved for my drum carder. I knew that the long staple of romney would probably not do a great job folded over in a rolag, but I guess giving it a try was still worth something.
Happy Weekend my friends! The plans around here are as always. Cleaning, biking, crafting, gardening. And that sounds exactly right to me, since work has continued to be pretty nutty!